COPYRIGHT • Pls. respect the owner of this blog. Plagiarism is a serious crime so please don't copy or steal any photos and/or content from this blog.

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Casa Gorordo Museum, Cebu

Hi everyone! So here's another Cebu heritage that I would like to share with you, the Casa Gorordo Museum. It's one of the oldest houses in Cebu, and is now turned into a museum under the Aboitiz Foundation. It's actually the home of Cebu's first Filipino Bishop, Juan Isidro de Gorordo. It is located along Lopez Jaena Street in Colon.

The structure is kind of similar to Balay na Tisa in Carcar. It is also made of stones but of bituka tabliya (coral stone blocks) instead of tisa (limestones). Too bad it's not allowed to take pictures inside so I'm only gong to be able to show you guys photos of its garden and surrounding area.

So the house was built in 1863. Similar to the Balay na Tisa in Carcar, it is a two-story house, the second floor of which is made of wood and is still furnished with antique furniture and lots of historical collections such as books, paintings and other memorabilia. They even have actual pictures of old Colon street and Plaza Independencia, which I find really cool, mysterious and interesting!

The lower floor, called zaguan, served as a storage place. Right now, part of the zaguan is turned into an office and a small area for painting exhibitions.

As you can see from the photo below, there's a wide balcony called azotea, typical for a 19th century Spanish-inspired houses. The structure of the house is kind of elongated, where on one side are the bedrooms and the other side is the living room and then the balcony. On one end of the house (as you ascend the wide wooden stairs from the landing), is where the bedroom of Bishop Juan Isidro de Gorordo is located. Beside it is a small chapel.

On the other end is a room where they show a prototype of the kitchen. Kitchens of a typical 19th-century Spanish houses were actually separated from the main house, for safety purposes I guess.

In below photo you can see a separate house which serves as a small souvenir shop for tourists and visitors.

A cool thing about the Casa Gorordo Museum is that you can actually hold your parties there such as weddings and other special events. When we went there, a catering service going on and tourists came at lunch time to eat and I guess have a tour around the place.

Across the house is a small resting place, with a built-in brick seating area and trees that provide cool shade. We lounged there for a good 30 minutes before going home :)


I'm not quite sure but I think they're open from Mondays thru Saturdays  at 9:00 am - 12:00 nn and at 2:00 - 5:00 pm.

So that's all for my Casa Gorordo Museum post and I hope you guys like it (even though it's so short and I didn't have much photos ^^). Okay guys I'll talk to you soon!

Bookmark and Share Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Checker

8 Comments:

Mayet said...

I would love to visit that museum;)

Happy New Year.

Kamila said...

Ang gandaaa..... x) I love your pictures... Sana makapunta din ako sa iba't ibang lugar..pag ma-pera na.. hahha x)

Sitting Pretty said...

Hi Veroniz! I just found your blog through The Lead Character Chronicles. I can't believe I've lived in Cebu for 10 years now and in all that time haven't visited this place.

Thanks for the post. I'll definitely be coming back for more suggestions about interesting places to see in Cebu. Sometimes I think I take this place forgranted - I forget that there's so much culture/history to be experienced/appreciated.

By the way, could you tell me what time this museum opens? =)

Geneve said...

Pretty place. Sana matuloy ang plano ng family namin mag punta ng Cebu.
Happy New Year po! Happy 2011!

veroniz said...

@Sitting Pretty, Thanks! I'm glad you liked my post and learned something from it :) I'm not quite sure but I think it's open from Mondays to Saturdays at 9:00am-12:00nn and from 2:00pm-5:00pm :) I'm gonna put this in the post for the other people to know :)

veroniz said...

@Geneve, Thanks! Happy New Year! Visit nyo ang Casa Gorordo pag matuloy ang bakasyon nyo dito sa Cebu :)

fetus said...

we used to tour this in college for our history class... a heritage of cebu indeed.

Aiza said...

Hey, I have been here back when I was in college. We stayed on the building across this museum. We visited the museum on the last day of our conference.

Post a Comment

Hi! Pls. make sure that your comments are related to the topic of this post. Any SPAM or comments containing inappropriate/offensive content may not be approved for posting.

COMMENTS CONTAINING SPAM LINKS, WEBSITE LINKS, AND LINKS NOT RELATED TO THE POST TOPIC WILL NOT BE APPROVED

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

  © 2008-2014 veronizm! ...Life in Bliss... Template and colors by Dicas Blogger , Template Lite and Falcon Hive.com . Powered by Blogger .

BACK TO TOP